Sunday, January 19, 2020

Fayette Branch Conference


I gave a lesson/led a discussion in second hour at the Fayette Branch conference.

The discussion points were:

Mountain Streams
Challenge / Invitation
Vitamins
Bridges

First, I shared the concept of how a mountains stream starts out as a drop of snow way up high, then slowly melts to a little trickle, then an under-snow stream, then a river. To illustrate that our good choices and actions have a ripple effect that we can't always see or imagine, but it's always for good.

Second, I shared two examples of that: 1. Aiden Anderson is doing really well for himself with his graphic design business. His mother told me that part of that was due to me encouraging him to go for it. I don't remember ever telling him that, but I'm glad he listened. 2. Mauro being baptized was such a good thing, and he's now in such a good place. I couldn't have imagined that he'd be in Utah doing so well. I was more of a propelling-along-the-path force, not an instigating force.

Third, I had them list out some of the 'Vitamins' that President Nelson has encouraged us to eat. What does that phrase even mean? They came up with quite a list, I'm sure you can imagine what they are. Read Scriptures, Pray, etc. We talked about how to stay motivated to do those things, or how to re-motivate ourselves.

Bridges came from last week when I was driving through CR and noticed billboards crying about the poor quality bridges in Iowa. They had a picture of a car driving off a bridge that was only halfway completed. The lesson point was that if we are only going to do something halfway or without real intent, we can't complain that that thing isn't effective.

And that was all. Still more drumming, by the way. I sort of feel like it's slowly pounding me deeper and deeper into the floor. How does a nail feel if a hammer is hitting it 10,000 times softly as opposed to two or three times hard?


No comments:

Post a Comment

2 Nephi 5

 When Nephi constructs the temple, they used what they had. (Verse 15) They couldn't construct the temple like Solomon did, with preciou...